Over 40 Injured In Wave Pool Tsunami Accident

On Monday, July 29th, 2019, in Northeast China, 44 people were injured when the Shuyiyun Water Park’s wave pool generator malfunctioned.

When the incident was first reported the water park stated “It was caused by a mechanical fault. Only around 10 people were injured.” However that number was quickly raised to 44 from officials reporting the injured going to local hospitals by Ebaums World

Waves in pools are created by utilizing large fans or blowers to push air into the water and generate larger and larger waves depending on the amount of air used. When these waves are too large it can injure people as they are moved too quickly by the waves resulting in a variety of injuries and even death.


There were also rumors spreading around that the mechanic in charge of the wave generator was under the influence of something but local government officials quickly shot down that story with the following statement. “a power cut that damaged electronic equipment in the tsunami pool control room, which led to the waves in the tsunami pool becoming too big and injuring people,” from the South China Morning Postreports.

While these incidents are very rare when they do happen they tend to cause massive amounts of injuries. This is due to the power of the waves moving people and turning them into projectiles that can injure others or themselves.

“Online rumors say that a worker wrongly operated the controls, but in reality, it was a problem with the equipment,” an employee was quoted saying.

“The park closed for a day for repairs, but the investigation is over and the park will open as usual tomorrow.”

Photo Credit – twitter user 1984to1776 – popculture

Citrus Heights, 9 Year Old Drowns In Electric Shock Incident

On Sunday, July 14th, 2019, in Citrus Heights, California, a 9 year old girl passed away in a tragic electric shock incident while swimming in her family’s outdoor pool.

The victim, McKenzie Kinley, was swimming at her father’s place in Citrus Heights. She was then electrocuted by an exposed wire from one of his underwater pool lights still under repair, reported from Sacramento KCRA

First responders quickly tried to resuscitate the unresponsive 9 year old, but unfortunately could not, her father, Cliff Kinley, told CBS Sacramento.

Photo of McKenzie Kinley Courtesy of Elizabeth Moore

Electric shock drownings mainly happen around docks and marinas, but can happen in pools and other aquatic related entertainment venues. Normally it happens when nearby boats with poor wiring send electricity into the water harming unsuspecting swimmers.

Even a mild shock that would not kill you, can temporarily paralyze your muscles. Quickly causing you to sink and ultimately drowning before anyone realizes the danger.

The ESDPA states if you think someone is suffering from an electric shock in the water, do not try to help by swimming to them, as you could be electrocuted too. Instead find a life buoy to throw to them, or move them with a non-conductive pole.

Every year multiple people drown from electric shock incidents just like McKenzie’s. If you feel any sort of “tingly” feeling while swimming, get out immediately. Look and remove any sort of electric device touching the water, or report the feeling to an authority official.

McKenzie’s Family wants to speak out and educate others on the dangers of electric shock drowning. “You never think this is going to happen, It’s so tragic. She shouldn’t have been taken from us so soon.” Said family friend Janie Perduta.

Universal Closes Water Park After Electric Shocks

On Sunday, June 4th, 2019, the Universal Studios Volcano Bay was temporarily closed due to what they described as “technical issues” related to the park and guests reporting “electrical shocks” within the ride.

A Universal Spokesperson was quoted as saying “Yesterday we had some technical issues at Volcano Bay. As a result, we closed the park early while we worked to resolve this issue. Out of an abundance of caution, a small number of our team members were transported to the hospital and all were released and fine last night. We are back to regular park operation today.”

Universal Studios Water Park Electrical Incident

People at the park complained about feeling as if their feet where being zapped according to the Orlando Sentinel, but Universal would not give anymore information on the incident, but a lifeguard working for the park claimed to know the cause of the incident.

The lifeguard, who’s name was not released, stated it was believed at the Krakatau Aqua Coaster had a wiring short / issue going on
related to some type of Aquatic Construction Defects . She even complained that her and other staff members had their legs begin to go numb from a zapping sensation.

The Krakatau ride is considered the main attraction of the Volcano Bay water park with a 200-foot volcano (61 meters). The park originally was Wet n’ Wild and replaced in May 25, 2017 with the opening of the Krakatau ride and many other smaller water rides.

Sarah Carlino, from Boston, said that when they complained to a female manager they “didn’t believe what we were saying.” They complained that while they walked around Volcano Bay on 11am Sunday they felt their feet being “zapped” constantly. They did eventually decide to close the Lazy River near the Aqua Coaster for around 10 Minutes.

When asked for a comment from USA TODAY, Universal studios did not immediately respond and clarify what the source of the problem was exactly.

(images courtesy of visitorlando.com and orlandosentinel.com)

Welcome To The New Rowley and Reynolds Website

We hope you enjoy the new site. Here you will be able to learn about the latest activity in the world of aquatic related news. Also we will update you on all our achievements as a company. We look forward to starting this new journey with our current clients, upcoming clients, and those who just want to learn about the businesses of aquatic related issues.